I continue to enjoy using scraps and crumbs to make useful items for our home. These potholders were made by treadle-sewing fabric scraps to foundation (used printer) paper for both front and back sides. After removing the paper, they are sandwiched with Unsul-Bright® Insulated Lining and cotton batting. I used the treadle machine to free-motion quilt and apply black binding. I finished the binding by hand.
I ♥ how they turned out and even DH said he wouldn’t be surprised to see potholders like these in a gourmet shop for $10 – 20 EACH! That’s pretty high praise from a guy who would just as well use his shirttail to handle hot pots. We’ll see how long he keeps these clean!
Since it’s been rainy and dreary for the past several days, I’ve been looking for a hand project to do. I have finally finished making batik stars for the Tumbling Stars quilt top (see Unfinished Projects in the sidebar), so I decided to use some leftover crumbs to make hand stitched potholders. I ♥ the way they look and am considering giving some as holiday gifts. These are backed with black fabric and big-stitch hand quilted (it’s impossible to make tiny stitches through 2 layers of fabric, cotton batting and Insul-Bright). Pictured is the first four made and I will start making more tonight.
This week found me back at the doctor’s office for another attempt to overcome a persistent urinary tract infection. I was given 3 different antibiotics this time in hopes of a cure. It leaves me wondering if the pills will cure the infection or kill me trying. Hope to feel better soon.